labels.

Friday, June 28, 2013

Firsts


Stella's first ball game!

"Do not say, 'it is morning' and dismiss it with a name of Yesterday. See it for the first time as a newborn child that has no name." - Ravindranath Tagore


One of the things I am looking forward to most as a new parent is seeing the world through new eyes and with new excitement as our baby experiences firsts. 

I have never been one to get overly excited about things. This has always frustrated my Mom. Birthdays, Christmas, surprises... I never quite had the reaction she was hoping for. Now, my husband gets to be the frustrated one. To be honest, I think this lack of outwardly expressed elation has always frustrated me. I don't know what's holding me back or why I've had to monitor my expectations or my reactions. Now that I'm going to be a parent, I'm finally ready to let go and allow life to surprise and delight me. Having a baby is sure to bring this about in ways I can only begin to imagine.

Earlier this week, Nate and I took Sarah and Brandon and our four month old niece, Stella to her first Red Sox game. It was my first game too, but it was more fun to see Stella experience it and take in all the sights and sounds of the game. I became so sensitive to the stimuli and so much more aware of the experience myself and I got excited!

During pregnancy it has been fun to think of our baby's firsts even as they are experienced from the womb. Needless to say, I'm excited to experience these firsts with our little one for real when s/he arrives!

Do you have favorite memories of your child's firsts or your own as a child? Please do share! 



No comments: